Monday, April 03, 2006

Smörgåstårta



This amazing creation was the Smörgåstårta (sandwich cake) which we ate on Friday night! It is exactly as it sounds and looks - a giant 'sandwich cake' which was made up of layers of prawns, mayonaise, ham, mayonaise, cheese, more mayonaise and egg between slices of bread and then decorated with more prawns, and swirls of cheese and ham!! It is a traditional Swedish party dish and we ate it at a party we held on Friday evening as it was Daniel's last day working at Saab. We bought this Smörgåstårta but if you fancy having a go yourself, there are some recipes here.

Daniel has started his new work contract at Volvo in Gothenburg this morning. It will mean that he'll have to travel down to Gothenburg for 2 months before we move into our new flat there, and then I'll have to travel back to Trollhattan for a month before I finish my teaching contract here and start working in Gothenburg. It's all a bit back to front and will mean a bit of travelling for a while, but it won't be too long before we'll be living and working in Gothenburg properly!

12 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Blogger niki yokota said...

im soooo surprised to see this cake!!!!
never heard of it!(^o^;;;
shrimp, ham, cheese all look soooo delicious!!!
will definately make this. (i might mix rice in it..lol)
thank u very much!! oh it gonna be hectic. pls take care!!

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

That sounds yummy minus the prawns. I love it but am allergic to it. It is really a big sandwich cake but it looks good.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Marie said...

I've made this a few times and it is really easy to do and delicious. I tend to do one based on seafood and hard boiled eggs but spiced up a little - our overseas visitors are always impressed. I especially like it because you can make all of the mess beforehand and be free to spend time with your guests.

You must be looking forward to the big move. It won't be long now.

 
At 6:29 PM, Anonymous heidi said...

again, i have never heard of this traditional swedish dish! hmmm! but it looks interesting! thanks for the recipe link! i'll definitely try to do it one of these days as it looks relatively easy! hehe

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger verniciousknids said...

What a nifty idea - looks delicious too...I like seeing the way seafood is utilised in Sweden as it's quite different to what's done in Japan.

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger DayByDay4-2Day said...

I don;t think I have ever seen anything like that before!
I really don't think anyone I know would eat it, but everyone has different taste huh?

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger kimananda said...

Tee hee! Smörgåstårta is one dish which I have neither seen (except for your photo) nor tried, but I've had it explained to me as part of the proof of that favorite Danish truism, that 'Swedes are weird'. I must say the idea of smørrebrød, but done as a cake does sound rather odd...but I'd imagine it tastes great!

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Helen!Thank you very much for your email,the information you´ve sent me is very useful.By the way,I´m totally hooked on your blog,I can´t help reading it every week!
Sara

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger Sonia said...

Smörgåstårta looks yummy!!

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger Connie and Rob said...

I think it is to pretty to eat!!

Oh my you won't be settled in your new flat for a few months...Hope it goes fast for you!!

Take care,
Connie

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Baby Angel said...

hi Helen! Saw this link from Niki's blog... Glad i could bump into ur lovely sweedish notes :)

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Hans Lj said...

Well I'm a swede. And I now this thing called "smörgåstårta". A lot of people here in this country love it, it is a typical partydish. But be careful, it is certainly not good. It is "to much of everything". The classical "smörgåsbord" is a lot better!!! Or try some danish "smörrebröd"! These are lot better!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home