Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Pancakes versus Semlor

As today is Shrove Tuesday I will be celebrating later by eating as many pancakes as possible, however Swedes celebrate 'Fettis Dagen' a little differently by eating a semla (plural semlor). Semlor are cardamon flavoured buns which are split in half and filled with a marzipan paste and whipped cream. Swedes rave about how wonderful they taste, and even though they should traditionally only be eaten today, many shops sell them from as early as January, but to me are most disgusting tasting thing in the world!! They taste like dry, stale rolls filled with masses of cream and almond paste - eeeuuurrrgghhh! Give me a pancake with sugar and lemon juice anyday! Happy Pancake Day!


(To read about semlor from someone who likes them go and see Marie!)

6 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Don't know what Semlor tastes like. At least with your photos I know what it looks like. I don't think I would trade pancakes for that thing in your picture.

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Marie said...

Home made, Helen! It's the only way to go. The ones in the shop are appalling generally.

My friend Beverly posted about Chocolate Semlor, including a link to a recipe in Aftonbladet that I'm going to try in order to shock my husband who believes that tradition should never be changed. I bet he scoffs the lot!

This is all new to me as we didn't have anything special for this day back in Australia - no pancakes, cream buns, Mardi Gras.

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Connie and Rob said...

Well the picture of semlor looks pretty but I will take your word for it!

Have lots of fun eating pancakes. Love them too.

Have a good day. Hugs,
Connie

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Cutie said...

Mmmm, pancakes for sure!!! I hate marzipan... yech!

I hope you don't mind, I linked you on my blog as one of my daily reads... you are too fun, must share with others!

Ciao!
Emms

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger DayByDay4-2Day said...

just like here in detroit they eat jelly-filled donuts called paczkis. I hate them they are to doughy and sweet. I'll take regular donuts over them.

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger kimananda said...

Well, at least they're pretty to look at! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home