Sunday, February 19, 2006

It's that time of year again...

Saturday saw the start of one of the most important events in the Swedish calander.... the first heat of Melodifestival!! For those un-initiated in the world of Eurovision, Melodifestival is a 6 week long competition to find the singer/band who will represent Sweden in the Eurovision Song Contest. The Melodifestival consists of 4 heats, a semi final and a final with each show being broadcast at primetime on Saturday nights for about 2 hours!! A little bit different from the 1/2 hour 'Making your Mind up' show they have in England to decide who will represent the United Kingdom!!

After winning Eurovision several times before (1974 ABBA, 1984 Herreys and 1991 Carola) Sweden came an amazingly bad 19th place last year, meaning that they now have to compete to get into the Eurovision final in Athens rather than being allowed straight through like in recent years. Despite last years winner being Greek, Sweden still managed to claim the victory as its own as the singer currently lives in Sweden!

I'm not a huge Eurovision fan but I just find it amazing how seriously Swedes take the whole event and I can't help but get caught up in all the discussions about it!!

11 Comments:

At 5:30 PM, Anonymous EurovisionFan said...

Hi!

You can find all Eurovision lyrics at lyrics.msn.ee

EurovisionFan

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger DayByDay4-2Day said...

Those outfit??? What is that all about?

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Marie said...

I am not a fan of Eurovision I'm afraid. It's all a bit too cheesy for my taste and I feel embarrassed for them in the same way I would if it was amatuer night at the local church hall. I cringe and want to slip them money to please stop and just go home.

We made the mistake of setting our wedding date on the same day as the Eurovision final a few years back (see how clueless we both are!) Half the guests spent a good part of the reception dashing out to the restaurant kitchen where a tv was set up.

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Connie and Rob said...

To each his own...we have many traditions that are a little silly here. I am glad you mentioned it on your blog cause I am always curious about what goes on outside my backyard.

Wonder who the winner will be this year? Can't help but wonder...

Take care,
Connie

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger niki yokota said...

awww~ ABBA!! ^^
havent seen them for decade...
thank u very much for ur interesting news of eurovision!!

 
At 3:11 PM, Anonymous suzy said...

That's so funny! I guess it's to be expected from the nation that spawned ABBA.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger kimananda said...

Wow, I had no idea that it was such a big deal over there. Over the Oresundbro in Denmark, our Dansk Melodi Grand Prix is just a one-night, 2 and a half hour show, so all of it can be savored/laughed at in only one dinner party! The cheese factor is, I suspect, about the same though!

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger RM said...

Hey - I like your blog! Hence the commenting....

Unsurprisingly, Eurovision isn't a big deal in Australia. They do show it though - on one of the non commercial channels. It always brings out a few grins at some of the artists/costumes/etc.

RM

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger niki yokota said...

wooow! -5C on weather pixel??
pls stay warm and have a great weekend!!!!

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Jacqueline said...

HA! Wait until the finals happen and NO ONE goes out because they have to stay home to watch the finals. I didn´t even know about Eurovision until we were invited one year to enjoy a night of dinner and Eurovision final watching at a friends home.

(I do like most Swedish traditions, and I suppose this is just one that I can easily let slip by without worrying about it).

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger megg said...

Hi there!

I think Eurovision is absolutely hilarious!! I'd never heard of it before I lived in the UK. No I won't miss it! Terry Wogan makes me howl. It's so fun that you are in a place that takes it SO seriously, you'll get quite a different view of it (actually I think england takes it more seriously than they'd like to believe!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home