Tuesday, January 17, 2006

ELK!!

After 19 months of living in Sweden I have finally seen my first elk! I was speaking to a Swedish friend earlier and told her that every time we have guests to stay from home we always go on a elk spotting drive through the forest but we never see any! Her great uncle hunts elks, so after a quick phone call to him to find out the best spots to see one we set off...

We drove to the nearby hills of Hunneberg and Halleberg which is where the King of Sweden hunts elks during the hunting season. My friends uncle said that after the hunting season there were only 29 elks left in the hills, but if we drove slowly and looked carefully in the open areas of forest we might just see one. Sure enough after driving for about 30 minutes we saw a small elk calf! We could see its legs through the trees and its nose when it bent down to eat! We stopped the car and waited to see if it would come out onto the road or if its mother would appear. Sadly neither happened and after we put the window down he ran off.

The calf was too camouflaged behind the trees for me to take a photo but it was about the size of a pony. Fingers crossed we see another one a bit closer up next time!

7 Comments:

At 10:42 PM, Blogger Sonia said...

What a great emotion, Helen, to see your first elk! Hope you see another elk a bit closer up next time and take a photo!

Last but not least, thank you Helen for your nice comment on my page!

 
At 4:50 AM, Blogger Connie and Rob said...

I bet it is very exciting to see elk out in the wild. Plus you got to see a baby! Hope you can get a picture next time. My fingers are crossed!!

Connie

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger DayByDay4-2Day said...

I can imagine your excitement, we get that way when we see deer up by my mother's house.

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger Keshi said...

wow I havent even heard of Elks prior to this post :)

Have u heard of Kangaroos and Wallabies? They r typical Aussie wildlife and I see em when I drive to the country...

Keshi.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Marie said...

I think the first elk sighting is something that you never forget. I remember being completely taken aback at the length of their legs. I love them, much to my Swedish husband's amusement.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger niki yokota said...

hi helen!
awww~ elk moose(^o^;;;
they look soo lovely..
Hunneberg Halleberg?? sooo difficult to learn swedish lol
awesome pics in your Flickr pages. thanks for sharing them!!!!!!

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Jacqueline said...

Ohhhhh how very exciting!! I have yet to see one. My BIL lives out in the forests where there is loads of wildlife. I hope that one day I will have the opportunity to see one and hopefully my camera will be with me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home