Monday, January 09, 2006

Brrrrrrr!

Even though we have had no new snow for over a week now, or Narnia world is still here. The snow is still about 20cm thick and the temperature was down to -9 this morning when I walked to school. It was so cold that when I breathed in through my nose my nostrils stuck together and the hair that was poking out of the bottom of my hat froze into tiny ice crystals!

There are lots of signs along the pavements like the one below which says 'Warning for falling snow and icicles' and after looking up at the icicles I decided to cross the road just in case!

The canal in front of our flat is now almost completely frozen and the ice breaker chips its way through the canal every morning to make sure the big cargo ships can actually make it as far as Karlstad and Stockholm.




9 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Blogger Jacqueline said...

-9!!! We still have temps of 0 in the day then -5 to 6 at night. I am really hoping that we don´t go down to -26 like we did last year February. Walk carefully on those evil icy roads, they can be nasty.
Good luck to you for school this term, hope things go very well.

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Sonia said...

Hi Helen!

Wishing you a Happy New Year to come! All the best to you!

And thank you so much for your nice comment on my page!

Have a nice week!

 
At 2:21 AM, Anonymous suzy said...

Happy New Year! I just got back to Tokyo from Sydney and the cold is a shock... but nothing like Sweden. Take care on the ice :)

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger Keshi said...

WOW what alot of ICE! Must be very cold na...

Keshi.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Connie and Rob said...

Helen,

I think I would wear a hardhat so one of those icicles don't bop you in the head. Just way cold when the nose sticks together! I am feeling your pain. I just went and put some heavier socks on...

Connie

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger DayByDay4-2Day said...

It has been unseasonably warm here.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

That's a lot of snow and ice. In the country where I come from, we don't have snow. I just can't imagine being there. Looking at your pictures gives me the shivers already. Those icicles aren't they dangerous when it falls on your head. Can it give you a small pin hole?
Thanks for visiting my site.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger niki yokota said...

hi helen!!
this is the real beauty of nature(*o*)
amazing!!!!!
you are a great photographer!!!!
nostrils stuck together? i cant believe u can walk in such cold weather...
pls take care!!

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger gerasimos polis said...

Good photos, Helen.
Keep up the spirit, here in Greece, minus temperatures are rare but we have chilly weather.
Lovely blogspot, inform us about real life in Sweden...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home