Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Feeling Christmassy

I'm feeling very Christmassy now after putting up our Christmas tree last night. It's only the second Christmas tree we've had so it's still very exciting! It's a lot bigger than the tree we had last year, so its looking a bit sparse in terms of decorations! It's decorated with little stars made out of straw which are traditional Swedish decorations, plus some straw goats too. Traditionally it is the Christmas goat who delivers presents rather than Father Christmas in Sweden.

The other thing which made me feel Christmassy was the arrival of our friend David with a Glögg set for me. I've been looking after his flat while he's been working in Germany for the past 6 months, so he bought me a Glögg set as a thank you present. Glögg is a hot, sweet, mulled wine which Swedes drink at Christmas. You add almonds and raisons to it, hence the little spoons and dishes. It's potent stuff so you only need a few cupfuls to warm you up! You can buy it premixed or make it yourself, and its traditionally drunk with pepparkakor (ginger snaps).

4 Comments:

At 6:01 AM, Blogger Connie and Rob said...

Thank you so much for just sharing all that information about your Christmas traditions with me. That is what is so wonderful about blogging.

Your tree looks great. Isn't it wonderful to have that fragrance in your home?

I think the straw goat is beatiful. It has a lot of detail and I wouldn't mind tasting a little of that Glogg. Now that definitely sounds like it gets you into the Christmassy mood.
Connie

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Irma said...

Hi Helen!

Thanks for the comment on my blog! I alsolike the glögg and gingerbread cookies, it really does get you in the Christmas mood! But it took me a long while to get used to it. The flavor is just so much! But I'm finding that this year (3rd Christmas here) I'm enjoying it more.

Your tree looks great! I should put up a picture of mine as well.

Nice to find someone else who's living in Sweden as a foreigner :D

 
At 1:56 AM, Blogger DayByDay4-2Day said...

I know once I got my tree up I also felt Chrismassy.
Mine is also on my blog.

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Pernilla said...

hi. i just saw that you wrote this: Traditionally it is the Christmas goat who delivers presents rather than Father Christmas in Sweden.
actually i have never heard of that before. and i'm a swede. i asked some friends of mine and neither had they heard of that before.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home